Search This Blog

Filipino sailor from Baguio named U.S. Navy’s ‘Lion of the Week’

A Filipino-born sailor from Baguio City has been recognized as the U.S. Navy’s “Lion of the Week” while serving aboard the USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer currently operating in the Western Pacific.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Ethan Micah Bimmangon was selected for the weekly recognition, a command program in which the ship’s commanding officer personally honors a sailor who demonstrates exemplary performance and contributes significantly to the ship’s mission.

Bimmangon, who graduated from Northern Luzon Adventist College in 2022, said his upbringing in Baguio helped him develop qualities that have proved valuable in his Navy career, particularly the ability to remain calm under pressure.

“I used to have anger issues back at home, but I’ve since learned to control myself and stay calm,” Bimmangon said. “Ever since, I rarely get upset. In the Navy, there are a lot of times when things can be stressful, but during those times I’m able to remain calm and have even helped sailors when they’ve asked for advice.”

Bimmangon joined the U.S. Navy four years ago after his family moved to the United States. Having recently graduated from high school, he said he wanted to begin working immediately and help support his family.

“I joined the Navy because I wanted to start working right away since it was just me, my mom and my brothers,” he said. “My family and I had recently moved to the States and I had recently graduated high school. I wanted to support them. Plus, it sounded fun.”

His selection as Lion of the Week highlights the contribution of Filipino-born personnel serving in the U.S. armed forces, while reflecting the personal values of discipline, composure and responsibility that have shaped Bimmangon’s journey from Baguio to the U.S. Navy.


No comments: