Search This Blog

Meralco restores power to nearly all Habagat-hit customers

Despite continuing rains and flooding brought by the enhanced southwest monsoon (Habagat), Manila Electric Company (Meralco) has restored electricity service to nearly all customers affected by power interruptions, bringing the number of remaining affected customers down to around 2,000 as of Tuesday morning.

Meralco said its crews and field personnel have been working around the clock to restore service while ensuring the safety of both workers and customers in affected areas.

“Our crews and field personnel are working overtime to address concerns and safely restore power in areas affected by the Habagat. Rest assured that we will not stop until service is restored to the last affected customer,” Meralco Vice President and Head of Corporate Communications Joe R. Zaldarriaga said.

As of 9 a.m. on August 18, the number of customers affected by power outages had fallen to about 2,000 from around 10,000 recorded the previous day. Most of the outages were caused by flooding.

The majority of the remaining affected customers are in the provinces of Cavite and Quezon.

Meralco continues to closely monitor weather conditions as the state weather bureau expects rains to persist throughout the week.

Relief efforts

Beyond power restoration, Meralco, through the One Meralco Foundation (OMF), has also mobilized employee-volunteers to assist communities severely affected by the Habagat.

The Foundation has so far provided relief assistance to more than 1,400 families in Bulacan and Cavite.

Electrical safety reminder

Meralco also reminded the public to observe electrical safety precautions, particularly in areas affected by flooding and severe weather.

Residents are advised to stay away from downed power lines and electrical facilities, especially those that may have been damaged or submerged in floodwater.

After floodwaters have subsided, customers should remove mud and dirt from service equipment, the main circuit breaker or fuse, and its enclosure using rubber gloves and rubber-soled shoes.

Meralco warned customers not to switch on electrical appliances that have been damaged by floodwater. Appliances and wiring systems should first be inspected by licensed electricians before they are used again.

Customers may report power outages and other concerns through Meralco’s official Facebook page and X account (@meralco). They may also send text messages to 0920-9716211 or 0917-5516211, or call the Meralco Hotline at 16211.


No comments: